“Train the wise and they will become wiser, teach the righteous and they will continue to learn.” (Proverbs 9:0)
“There is no teaching to compare with example.” (Baden-Powell)
“Scouting is a game for boys under the leadership of boys under the direction of a man.” (Baden-Powell)
“THE FIRST STEP towards success in training your boy is to know something about boys in general and then about this boy in particular.” (Baden-Powell)
« Aujourd’hui, le chef doit être celui qui est aussi tourné vers l’intérieur, celui qui saura cultiver sa vie intérieure profondément, qui saura se spécialiser, qui pourra acquérir une connaissance réelle et, chez les EI, une connaissance juive, qu’il dispose de quelque chose de profond en lui. Il est impensable du point de vue juif que le chef soit un parfait chef scout tout en étant, dans les autres domaines, un dilettante ou un amateur. il faut qu’il soit mûr, et alors son rayonnement aura une efficacité.» (André Neher)
Question of Vocabulary
Depending on the language, there are many ways to name a Scoutmaster. To facilitate understanding beyond our mother tongues, we propose to use the Hebrew word « Madrich ».
(madrich-madrichim (plural) in english, madri’h-madri’him (pluriel) en français).
A Madrich accompanies and grows his scouts for several years; he is not a moderator of some activities.
In French, we use the word « animateur » which means to give life, breath, spirit, to give soul, a beautiful definition to characterize the mission of Madrichim.
A Madrich, a Jewish Scoutmaster
THE MISSION OF A MADRICH IS TO DREAM AND GROW YOUNG PEOPLE.
- Accompany his scouts in their discoveries and learnings
- Be a pro outdoor games
- Find places and themes for outings and weekends that are out of the ordinary
- Being a pro of animation
- To make nature discover its scouts, and how to protect it
KADIMA — The Jewish Scout Trail for Leaders
A A4 single two-sided page printed, then folded in four and stapled.
A SHEVET LEADER ASSUMES MORE RESPONSIBILITIES THAN A MADRICH.
Shevet Leader Purple Shoulder Loop
Responsibilities that he has undertaken to assume arise from a number of imperatives that he must face and bear in mind in order to give his action its full meaning and effectiveness.
In addition to being a good facilitator:
- He is an educator: he knows his goals and the means to reach them. He is responsible for his training.
- He is a « Shevet Leader », an example for his scouts and adapts his behavior to this character.
- It is in charge of the Shevet staff and its madrichim.
- He is an association manager: member of the scout movement, he is the interlocutor of the parents, the community, and knows his duties towards the movement.